Friday, February 13, 2015

Working with an adult with balance challenges

I am working with an adult with balance challenges.  These balance challenges also make it difficult for her to learn math.  She reads well and wants to learn. Her parents have taught her to count money. It is obvious that counting money is difficult for her.  I am trying show her that she has the ability to learn math and already knows more than she thinks.  We are using a lot of patterning activities. She struggles with these but is willing to learn and try.
 When she uses the balance board, I  hold onto her hands. I put a chair on each side for her to hold onto to keep from falling.   She fusses at herself when she does not do things perfectly.  I stop her each time and tell her not to fuss at my student as she is doing well. Walking on the balance beam is a challenge and she holds onto the wall.
I use patterning with the sky balls.  At first she did not think she could do this.  She was excited when she found she could do this with two balls. I gently and with control bounce a ball with my right hand to her left hand. Then she needs to put the ball in her right hand and bounce it to my left hand.  This makes a pattern. When she can do this we reverse direction. Once she can do this, I add an additional ball.  When I bounce a ball to her left hand she also bounces a ball to my left hand at the same time.  The smile on her face when she finds she can do this is rewarding to both of us.
 She takes a lot of physical effort to work with to make sure she does not fall.  She is also rewarding to work with because she really wants to learn. I do not know yet how much she can learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment