Monday, December 8, 2014

Reading Comprehension, Barron"s Painless Reading Comprehension by Darolyn " Lyn" Joned, Ed.D.

The young man I am homeschooling and I are reading this book aloud together.  We began August 14, 2014.  I read the book aloud and he tries to ignore me.  On page 4 there is a reference to the Hunger Games books by Suzanne Collins.  He looks up and ask, " Is that really in there or did you make it up?" I show him the words in the book.
I have continued to read this book several times a week aloud to him.  I know if I do not read it aloud to him, it will not be read.  One reason it will not be read is he will not understand it.  He does not try because he has failed so painfully in formal school. When there are suggested activities, I do the activity with him. When I am not sure he understands a word, we discuss it together.  I have him type the word in the computer to find the meaning.  
On December 4, we are only on page 92.  Some days we only read half of a page.  We work to make sure he understands what that half  page means  Yes, this is slow and at times I want to do something else.
Page 90 begins a section on Skimming for Information.  There are  five questions to answer on page 91.  I have him copy that page to make it easier to look at the questions as he reads the selection back on page 20.  We discuss the meaning of some of the words in the questions.  I have him try each question on his own. When he can not figure out the answer, we discuss the question and I have him try to find the answer again.  Then I need to read the section to him and discuss what it means.  Finally he can answer the question.  If I get flustrated or impatient with him, I have just told him that yes he is dumb and I am wasting his time anyway.  He does not believe that sometimes I am flustered with myself for not having an easy way to teach him.
On December 5, we are doing the second half of page 92.  It is a Let's Practice section on the meaning of a selection on page 49.  Once again, I have him copy on a copy machine the 5 questions
I want him to answer.  This time he is able to answer the questions by himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment